Monday, October 20, 2008

Parenting 101

I learn a lot every day about being a parent. This school year's lesson is distancing myself from my son's behavior. He is now in first grade.

Last month the principal had me sit in her office while gently breaking the news that she had a report on him.

"He flooded the restroom," she said.

I was so shocked, I couldn't talk coherently to her for the rest of the conversation. I asked if he stuffed paper towels into the toilet.

"No, apparently if you cover the urinal sensor with your finger, it flushes continuously," she replied.

She assured me that he's a boy and that he's experimenting right now. I forgot, in my shock, to mention he'd asked me what it was like to go to the principal's office a few week's earlier. My husband and I decided it was best to let her talk to him and use Love & Logic for our part(Oh! You got in trouble? I'm sorry. I'm sure you'll remember not to do it again."). He's never mentioned it to us. Even when asked what happened that day.

Today when I was volunteering in the class, his teacher told me he's been in some trouble today. I looked at him and he quickly looked away. When the kids went to recess, the teacher told me he was farting on people. The whole class talked about that type of behavior and why it wasn't a good idea. She also spoke with him individually. I wound up laughing, while thinking, Dad better be on board with this one.

I'm from a family of mostly girls - sisters, cousins, aunts. My little brother was the first boy born in our generation and he's eight years younger than me.

OK, so if these things happen in three's, what's next? Family dinner is going to be rather interesting tonight.

No comments: